Sunday, May 23, 2010

Religion V/S God

I am not sure if many would agree with this post as the subject is a delicate and a very intimate one. For many the two words Religion and God .. go together.. synonymous rather.. or for some.. one is the offset of another....however I wish to differ.... Religion is not an offset of god but of society. Its the people who created religion. It is nothing but a reason to come together. one of the many reasons why we have clubs, fraternities alike. Probably religion was created with the view of binding people together. however in recent times it has been the reason for the divide rather. If one asks me whether I am religious, my answer would be a 'No'... but if one were to ask if I believe in god.. then the reply would be a 'Yes'... it confounds some..but i have my reasons to believe so... When the civilizations began to form.... they formed religion too..So initially these religions were specific to a particular location which later spread to other parts of the world through the medium of travellers, conquerers and and the people who migrated from one place to another. Some were formed before the others. Whatever be the difference in the ways of worship... the common factor was that divine power which everyone revered.irrespective of the location constraints.. everywhere the faith was same... The faith was placed in different objects... So there had to be some force..a common force which made everyone around the world feel it and beleive it..that makes me beleive in the existence of god...whereas religion is just a man made concept. .... but it is soo deeply ingrained into us that we are even ready to kill each other for it which is absurd. We follow a religion just because it is bequeathed to us. What if we were actually born to parents following a particular religion and raised by another set of parents who followed another religion.... to which religion would the child belong??? . so does religion run in our blood or in our minds?? so are we hindus, muslims, catholics, jews, sikhs, etc by birth or by upbringing? For me... I have my different ways to reach god. Its not that I dont believe in idol worship.. even I do that... I have a small ganesha at my desk gifted by a friend... the little idol is a source of strength for me.... Whenever I pray to ganapati bappa..I think of him seated in that small temple my mom's school.( Which now has changed and modernised though ). But its just my faith there... I have never understood when people say... an idol of god is more powerful at a particular location. for instance LalBaug cha Raja. Dont wanna hurt any sentiments here.. but seriously.. Is Bappa who sits at Lalbaug different from my bappa who sits in that small temple away from all the crowd? Are these different clones of the same god? Cant be right??? It is nothing but the faith and belief that we place in the inanimate objects and divinify them. God does exist and religion is just means to reach that Supreme Being. some do it with folded hands and some with open hands... but all the prayers reach the same ONE...

1 comment:

Sachin said...

Nice writeup !!!